Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Thingers!

What's the most popular book in your library? Have you read it? What did you think? How many users have it? What's the most popular book you don't have? How does a book's popularity figure into your decisions about what to read?

The most popular book in my library is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 32,544 members have it. Yes I did read it. Time for a little story...Me and my sister started collecting the books around the time the fourth book came out and the buzz was to the extreme. It's the reason we bought the books, the hype. I remember sitting at home watching all the news about the Harry Potter release. We even ended up going to the midnight release two times. Also seeing the first movie before starting to read the series got me going! Usually that prevents me from reading the a book right away (after seeing the movie), gotta wait til it isn't fresh in my memory, but in this case it made me read it.

The most popular book I don't have is The Hobbit (at 21,235 people) It's number 8 on the list. I didn't like the first LOTR movie, so I really doubt I'll ever read any of the books.

As I talked about a little bit before I do let popularity influence my reading choices. I look at it this way, if I'm already interested in a book and it's getting rave reviews/lots of people reading it I consider that a good thing, if it doesn't I still might read it anyways. And on the flip side, if a book doesn't sound interesting, it usually still doesn't sound interesting even after people say it's worth checking out. Hype and popularity got me to read the Twilight series which I really enjoyed.

One more side note, do you guys have a lot of books in your library that you share with one other user or no one? I have a lot because of the manually entered zines I have. But I just counted and there are 26 books/zines I share with one other person. And some of those are 2-4 things with one other person. I think they are zine collections and libraries.

7 comments:

  1. that was going to be my next week's question... oh well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should do that for next week! No one sees my little blog, I'd love to see how people answer it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:33 PM

    Lol the movies got me going for the books too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:17 AM

    YOu posted a question about how I do a link in the comment section. It's the same HTML that is used to make a link in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kbookreviews- I also like having people in mind when I read the book, it's much clearer when I can see an actor rather than someone i make up in my mind. I'm sure other people like to imagine characters for themselves but for me, i love having something to refer to!

    j kaye- Like this?

    I don't think I'll be able to memorize the code so what I did to get that was go into a new post and make the link and then copy paste it. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Alea! You rock! I don't have it memorized. :) It would be asking too much of my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...