Monday, September 29, 2008

A Mixture of Frailties by Robertson Davies

A Mixture of Frailties opens at the funeral of Mrs. Bridgetower. During the reading of her will, her son, best friend and others are told they are to form a committee to find a young women to fund that will get an education in the arts with the money Mrs Bridgetower has left behind. Her son with get just about nothing but the responsibility to maintain her home as the property of the trust.

Once a young lady is found, Monica Gall, it switches over to her narrative. Monica is a singer and is sent abroad to England to study with several different people. This story is about her experience abroad over the next few years. A Mixture of Frailties is the third in The Salterton Trilogy but I had no problems reading it as a stand alone book.

I loved this book. I will admit that it took several weeks to get through for some reason, but I adored it nonetheless. It's hilarious in a nonchalant way. That's just the way it is. A wealth of humor comes from the cast of different characters that Monica encounters and the situations that arise. It was a refreshing piece of literature. It seems everything I read these days you don't have to think much about and could read half asleep. This book is rich with description and humor is found in every situation which I liked very much.

I liked the character of Monica and identified with the point in life she was in. With this opportunity she grows, changes and finds out who the person she is to become is. All the secondary characters were well flushed out and meaningful to the story.

5/5 Stars
I read this book for the Blog A Penguin Classic Blog.
Review copy provided by publisher

What book have you read recently with a great cast of characters?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:44 AM

    BREAKING DAWN...and though I have griped about it, I still think the characters are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what a great book you got from Penguin. I got Lord Jim, but it was supposed to be a PG Wodehouse, but they substituted it. I haven't read it yet.

    Great characters?I'll have to think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:48 PM

    Have you read any other books by Robertson Davies? If not, I highly recommend Fifth Business. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Kaye- I've been enjoying your noon time chats. I think i've remembered almost everyday around the right time!

    raidergirl3- Yeah it was a perfect match for me, i was lucky!

    court- I haven't actually! I'll add Fifth Business to my list, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...