Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hardcover vs. Paperback 41

Driftwood Summer by Patti Callahan Henry

Hardcover-Large Print

Paperback

Amazon.com:

An engaging novel of sisters, from the acclaimed author who “writes movingly about love and family and the voyage we all take to discover what we really value.”(The Island Packet)

Three sisters— responsible Riley, vivacious Maisy, and fun-loving Adalee—reunite to save the family’s beach-community bookstore. But summer also marks the return of Mack Logan, whose choice of Maisy over Riley years ago destroyed the special closeness between the sisters…

Now Riley, a single mom, is hiding a shattering secret about their mother. Maisy, a California designer, still blames Riley for ruining her one true love. And Adalee resents the family’s intrusion into her summer plans. All three will be forced to confront the conflicts that tore them apart and the bounds of love and loyalty that still draw them together…

I think this may have been the first time I've encountered a Large Print edition with a different cover that the original version. If that was also the cover of the paperback I definitely wouldn't have been nearly as drawn to it as I was. I love the colors and image used on the paperback so that wins by a landslide in my book!

Hardcover or Paperback?

18 comments:

  1. Agreed! I don't get why she's holding up her dress so strangely in the large print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paperback wins hands-down. I'm not crazy about the heart in the sand either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paperback. The cover justs seems more summery than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely the paperback one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both equally. But I don't really understand if it's a book about sisters why there's only one girl on the cover. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. I like both, actually. xD The purples and camera angle of the hardcover, the brightness of the paperback. Though if I had to choose I guess I'd also go with the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definately like the paperback better - it just draws me more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paperback all the way. The hardcover looks boring...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cover of the paperback, it just looks so clean and I love the covers used in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paperback is the best. The cover for hardback just looks weird... it's too bland and the girl holding her dress up looks ODD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate everything about the hardback. The placement of the text, the model's pose, the marbled texture that makes it look like a motivational pamphlet, and the ridiculous maple leaf watermark.

    The paperback has gorgeous color and composition. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:20 AM

    Wow...I love both the covers equally. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the 2nd one is the best! :D

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like the hardcover either. I would guess that large print editions are geared mostly toward older adults. I think the model on the hardcover somehow seems like an older women. But they've made it look dowdy and unappealing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the purple on the cover of the large print, but the rest of it is... meh.

    I've actually had this happen to me, and I hated the cover, so I just used the paper back cover in my review. Partly because I couldn't find a decent picture of my cover so I had to take it with my webcam, and partly because... well, I hated it.

    This is it: http://lainahastoomuchsparetime.blogspot.com/2009/05/wishbones-by-carolyn-haines.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...