Thursday, August 20, 2009

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Amazon.com:

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Shiver presents an interesting twist on a traditional love story. Go outside and get cold enough and poof you are a wolf! Not your typical romance...

The best part of the story for me was the beginning of the book when Sam is a wolf and Grace is studying him from her window or her yard. I love the longing that they both feel but it cannot be, yet. There is also another great scene that I wish there had be more of, when Sam seems Grace when he is a human but never gets to say anything to Grace. Oh man, I loved that!

So as you can see, I was surprised how quickly into the story Sam was in his human form, I wondered that now that he was human what obstacles besides the cold would stand in their way. And there was no need for me to worry. There were lots of other characters (wolves and people alike) that got in there and mucked up Sam and Grace's thing.

I wasn't expecting new wolves to be "born" and there were some which I really liked. They definitely helped me see into the future of the next book, Linger. Besides the characters of Sam and Grace I found myself adoring Isabel, I'm not going to tell you her part in the story, it would spoil it. But she was really really funny, I loved pretty much everything that came out of her mouth! I also liked Beck, a man that plays father to the wolf pack when he's human.

I love the balance that Shiver displays from the romance of Sam and Grace to some of the darker elements involving the wolves in the woods. I also loved the alternating perspectives between Sam and Grace. If the story had been only from Grace's or even Sam's it wouldn't have the depth that it does.

Overall, a wonderful twist on a tale of romance.

Shiver was released August 1st
Genre: Young Adult
4/5 Stars
ARC provided by publisher

14 comments:

  1. I'll keep this in mind. Sounds like a nice read. The "Shiver" title made me think it was going to be horror so I didn't take a second look at it! Good to know it's a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't sound like my kind of book, but I really want to read it for some odd reason! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this recently and enjoyed it. Wonderful review as always. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this title, but it seems like an aptly named book. Love the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, I agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I loved it as well. Can't wait for more. and oh man, Isabel...she's awesome. And Beck is just heartbreakingly wonderful.

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  8. It definitely is not your typical romance story and seems like a good read. I'm putting it on my ever growing wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you enjoyed. I liked the beginning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary
    zenrei57 (at) hotmail (dot) com

    Your review was very good. Since I haven't read Shiver yet, that was really informative - and I too had assumed Shiver was more of a 'horror' read than romantic.
    I'm not sure if it would be 'my kind' of book, but it's definitely on my Wish List :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep reading good reviews of this! Cannot wait for it, and yet I must..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:34 PM

    Sounds good. I love a werewolf romance, and this twist sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...