Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hardcover vs Paperback 55

The Sister by Poppy Adams

Hardcover

Paperback

Amazon.com:

Born into a long line of distinguished lepidopterists, scientists who study moths and butterflies, Ginny and Vivien grew up in a sprawling Victorian home. Forty-seven years later, Ginny lives there alone, tending to her moths and obsessions amid the ghosts of her past.

But when her sister Vivien returns to the crumbling family mansion, dark, unspoken secrets rise, disrupting Ginny's ordered life and threatening the family's fragile peace. Told in Ginny's unforgettable voice, this debut novel tells a disquieting story of two sisters and the ties that bind-sometimes a little too tightly.

Wow, you know, I never knew what this book was about but it definitely sounds interesting. I like both covers but the falling doll on the paperback is distracting so it makes the hardcover the winner in my book. I think the butterflies are more integrated into the hardcover as well.

Hardcover or Paperback?

Have you spotted a Hardcover vs. Paperback you would like to contribute? Send me an email!

18 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%! The doll is distracting and the butterflies look kind of strange. I have to say that the eyes on the statue are a little creepy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be contrary, I'm going for the paperback because of its colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately the hardback:) I don't like the paperback for some reason - maybe the falling doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks good. I totally prefer the hardcover. it's pretty whereas the paperback one just looks. . .fake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. The doll is totally out of place. That makes me not want to pick any cover between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that they are both striking enough to make me pick it up to see what it's about--which is what a really good book cover should do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the doll is funny. I'd probably pick it up to read the synopsis just for the oddly placed doll. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the paperback. It really grabs the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I like the hardcover better, but I actually think both covers look a little weird/creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the neither category. The doll bothers me but the statue looks weird with the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:40 PM

    I don't really like either one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The book sounds quirky, so I think I'll go with the second cover b/c it looks more strange and quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having read the book, I say the hardcover. It definitely suits the creepy, goth story better. The paperback cover is laughable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. None is the verdict this time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try the UK covers instead ... it's called The Behaviour of Moths over there ...

    hardcover -- http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781844084869/The-Behaviour-of-Moths

    paperback --
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781844084883/The-Behaviour-of-Moths

    Both are much better than the U.S. offerings ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hardcover. Definitely more interesting. The paperback is mildly creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't really like either cover. I read this book last fall (it's a wonderful read for the later fall/early winter), but neither cover does justice to the story inside. Still, the paperback is significantly more horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I kind of like the hardcover. That picture of the doll falling is just a little too creepy for me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...