Saturday, June 04, 2011

Get Rid of Books Summer Challenge!



Do you have so many books it would take multiple lifetimes to read them all? When you look at your books do you see clutter instead of wonderful reading adventures? Have you ruined a bookcase because of the weight you have tried to force it to hold? Do you laugh when someone asks you if you have enough bookcases for all those books? Do you regularly trip over stacks of books? Do you use a stack of books as a side table?  If you answered yes to any of these questions I may have an answer for you.... the Get Rid of Books Summer Challenge!

Ok now seriously, I was chatting with a few lovely people on twitter asking if anyone would be interested in embarking on a challenge where we try and get rid of books, which I know is very hard! And both Sarah and Lilibeth were kind enough to express interest!

I'm going to keep this very simple and laid back, it is summer after all! 

This is how it will work:

Starting today June 4th until September 4th do whatever you need to to get rid of some books, I don't care where they go, donate them, sell them, pass them on, have a contest. Whatever you feel comfortable with (please don't tell me if they go in the garbage though I might cry!) and keep track of the number of books that are no longer in your possession.

Come back here at the end of the challenge and give me your final tally, we will do this on the honor system. And whoever has gotten rid of the most books over the summer will win a book (Under $20 and something I can easily purchase in the US, and US only for shipping), yes totally against our point I know, but that's how I roll!

So that's basically it! Leave a comment here if you would like to join in! Maybe I'll do a mid-point check in to see how everyone is doing!

Also I couldn't have a challenge without a quick little button for you all if you want to use it! Ironically the books in that photo I've already looked through and they are not going to be going anywhere!

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck! 


10 comments:

  1. Let's do this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ill take em! haha youre so lucky to have that many books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a ton of books sitting waiting to go to the bookstore to be sold/traded/etc. They have been for a year! Then a pile of "try to read or they go to". I'll be participating. I'm Canadian though - can international people participate, and if we win, have a book donated to the library or something? Maybe the libraries recently destroyed in the tornados? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole- Hehe, most of my problem comes from a wonderful library that had a bookstore with very very cheap books. I went there often!

    Rachelia- Sure! That's a wonderful idea for International participants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in - although I've been getting rid of books for the past few months already! But it is an ever-growing stack of books :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! I currently have four bags of books sitting beside my door to be donated, so I'll have to take part in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:14 AM

    I am going to do this! I have WAY to many books. Problem is - I want to read them all.

    My goal for the summer: stop using the library except for the 3 books I have on hold. I <3 my library, but it keeps me from reading what I have.

    Just from my shelves from now til september. Woah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I have tons of books just sitting in a box waiting to go on PaperBackSwap, so I'm hoping tons of those go this summer!
    I'm excited for reading tons of books, but I keep getting this feeling that I'm going to lose this challenge :(
    Either way it'll be nice to have more room on the only tiny bookshelf that'll fit in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely joining in on this...I realized I have way too many books so going to read them and donate! I will, as well, keep a list of the books I have donated/got rid of.

    XOXO,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for joining everyone! So far I have about 70 books ready to find a new home!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...